Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Inspiration from My Foodie Mentor




I tivo Good Eats on the Food Network. Ain't no shame. I'm a big fan of Food Network, and Alton Brown in particular. I was actually starstruck when I ran into him at the SoBe Food and Wine Festival a few years ago, but did manage to get my picture taken with him. But I digress. Last night he aired a new episode in which he shared a few tips on how he has lost 50 pounds over the past nine months, and one of his go-to tricks was actually something I've done in the past - make smoothies for breakfast!! (I fell asleep during the commercial break after the smoothie bit - have to watch the rest tonight.)

Watching the episode inspired me to bust out my blender for the first time in the new house (the new house with no dishwasher, which is probably why I hadn't busted it out before now) and blend up a smoothie after my TG workout. I've included my basic smoothie recipe below, and it's a really easy, quick way to get more fruits into your diet - and it's low-fat. I generally use strawberry or some other berry-flavored non-fat yogurt (Publix sells their strawberry yogurt in the big tubs), and my favorite fruit mix is strawberry, blueberry, pineapple (banana is always standard). I don't always include the flaxseed, either. In Alton's recipe, he skipped the yogurt and included some sort of dark berry juice (pomegranate, acai, grape) instead, which would result in a less creamy smoothie. Enjoy!

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup nonfat milk
  • 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
  • 1/2 frozen banana, peeled and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons powdered protein supplement
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons flax seed
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1/2 cup frozen strawberries

Directions

  1. In a blender, blend the milk, yogurt, banana, protein supplement, flax seed, honey, and strawberries until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment