Saturday, August 9, 2014

Whole30 Day 5 (and part of 6)

The tail end of my first cookup
Even though I haven't reached the end of Week 1 of my Whole30, it still feels like I've accomplished something just by reaching the weekend! As I said in my last post, I was starting to run low on the food I'd cooked up last Sunday, so I knew an after-work shopping trip was in store for the start of my weekend. But first, a recap of the first two meals of yesterday...

For breakfast, I had another mug of the silky gingered zucchini soup, then three scrambled eggs and a banana once I got to work. For lunch, I'd packed a baked sweet potato stuffed with collard greens and pulled pork, which I topped with tangy BBQ sauce. If you've never tried a baked sweet potato stuffed with BBQ pulled pork, you really need to try it!!

My grocery haul included chicken thighs, pork tenderloin, Italian sausage, NY strip steaks, spaghetti squash, Brussels sprouts, zucchini, carrots, sweet potatoes, and cherry tomatoes. I try to buy what's on sale for the week, but the bill still came to over $100 (I did have to stock up on a few staples as well). Ah well, it's a small price to pay for better health, right? I went home and got to work cooking up at least a few of the items: I grilled up the chicken thighs and roasted the spaghetti squash and sweet potatoes, and put my homemade Montreal steak seasoning rub on the steaks. Speaking of the spaghetti squash, have you ever seen one this huge??
Splurge meal for a week well done
Ginormous!!!
I threw one of the steaks on the grill and had that along with one of the sweet potatoes and some broccoli I steamed for dinner. After dinner, I whipped up some super easy 30-Second Mayo from The Paleo Kitchen; I actually made a double batch, because I had plans to use some for dipping sauces...Mmm....
Almost 5-Ingredient Pizza Spaghetti Pie

Speaking of plans, that spaghetti squash I'd roasted earlier? After dinner, it got turned into PaleOMG's Almost 5-Ingredient Pizza Spaghetti Pie, along with the sausage I'd bought at Publix. I actually like to eat it for breakfast, which is exactly what I ate this morning, along with a mug of the silky gingered zucchini soup. For lunch, I made a salad of baby kale, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, and diced grilled chicken thighs. I used a half cup of the mayo I made to make a double batch of Well Fed's Paleo Ranch Dressing, and drizzled a few spoonfuls on my salad. So good!
Easy tossed salad with paleo ranch dressing

I'm almost halfway through the weekend, meal wise, and I'm still staying strong at eating right! Here's to hoping it stays this easy!

1 comment: