Monday, March 22, 2010

Two steps forward, one step back

I think I am in the diet doldrums. Unfortunately, I've put a few pounds back on, due to poor eating choices during my hectic last two weeks (including red thai curry at dinner with friends Friday night, and a delicious but not very healthy indian meal Saturday night at my neighbors' party). I can't help it, I love food! I shouldn't have to completely cut those types of meals out, but what I do need to do is limit them to special occasions (and no, the weekend is not a special occasion...although it should be).

The good news is that my workouts have stayed consistent, so at least I am combatting the food that way. I managed to get two TG workouts in last week (Tuesday/Thursday), 40 minutes of cardio via Exercise TV on Demand Wednesday night, and a 3.5 mile run Friday morning (it is killing me to wait until almost 7 to run in the mornings - the only downside to daylight savings time!!). Then, Saturday was the big day for my yard - my dad arrived at 8 Saturday morning with two pallets of sod to lay. We actually ran out of sod before the front yard was done (as evidenced by the pics below), so we'll have to continue when he can get some additional sod this week. But that was definitely a workout (although not quite as intense as the rototiller a few weeks back). I also washed my car yesterday (hey, it's 93 calories burned!) as well as another 3 mile run. And a TG workout this morning - my arms are definitely getting ripped with the TG workouts and lawn work, woohoo! Now, if only the pooch would follow suit...

I wanted to share a new recipe that I tried out yesterday; back in the fall, I stocked up on canned tuna when Publix had it BOGO (I had like 12 cans in the cupboard). Since beginning my mission, though, I've been trying to cut as much fat and calories as I can, and the thought of mayonnaise-y tuna salad just didn't fit the diet bill - and I just can't do tuna right out of the can. So I started looking at Allrecipes.com to see if anyone had posted a mayo-free tuna salad, and sure enough, there was one that sounded pretty good! Roasted red pepper hummus was substituted for the mayo, which sounded yummy to me. And it was! I modified the recipe to my liking - I don't care for raw onion, and I didn't have any fresh herbs on hand, but threw in pickle relish and hard-boiled egg whites - and it sure was good.

So there you have an update on the past week for bumpbuster, and as promised, a few pics on the yard project, as well as the recipe...








Mayo-Free Tuna Sandwich Filling

Ingredients

* 1 (6 ounce) can albacore tuna in water, drained and flaked
* 1 tablespoon red onion, diced
* 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced
* 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
* 1 tablespoon diced green chile pepper
* black pepper to taste
* 2 tablespoons red pepper hummus

Directions

1. Mix tuna, hummus, onion, oregano, rosemary, green chile pepper, and pepper in a bowl.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment