Tuesday, August 16, 2016

August Whole30: Week 3 Planning and a Lesson in Checking Your Labels

As promised, I'm going to tell you guys the story of the spicy tuna cakes and the importance of checking labels! So last Friday night on my way home from work, I stopped and did my grocery shopping at Aldi, as usual. Anyways, I've been really digging the Spicy Tuna Cakes, so I decided to make them again for this week. So I picked up four cans of chunk light tuna in oil at Aldi, which was different from the week before - I bought light tuna in water. When I got home, I read the label, and was horrified to see the tuna was packed in SOYBEAN OIL!! Ugh! So I picked up some tuna packed in olive oil (and no nasty sneaky ingredients) at Publix, but I was FREAKING OUT because I was second-guessing the tuna I had bought and eaten all last week - I thought I was going to have to start back at Day 1. Well I googled it, and the tuna in water only contains tuna, water, vegetable broth, and salt. PRAISE JESUS!!! Moral of the story: ALWAYS CHECK YOUR LABELS!!!

So besides the spicy tuna cakes, I also made Cinnamon Beef Stew with Orange Gremolata from Well Fed, and Big-O Bacon Burgers from Nom Nom Paleo. I made the stew and the tuna cakes on Saturday, but didn't get around to making the burgers until last night after I got home from the gym. They actually came together fairly quickly, plus I had a few side condiments and such going on at the same time, so I got a lot accomplished in like an hour or so. If you head over to my Snap Story, the videos and pics from cooking will be up for a few more hours! I'll post a picture of the finished product here as well...

That's all I've got for now, but I'll be posting a little more later in the week, because I'm hosting a cookout at my house this Sunday, and I'll be making a few Whole30 compliant side dishes as well as maybe an entree or two! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment